Wed, November 21, 2018, 10:47:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Crusade Fine Arts Forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Artists and Favorite Artists  (Read 17362 times)
jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

Glad to still be reading comics in my 50's.

« on: Sun, March 27, 2005, 02:47:00 »

Who are your favorite artists or writers and who are artists/writers you recommend staying away from?
« Last Edit: Sun, March 27, 2005, 06:13:22 by jsniderfamily » Logged

pctchuck
Crusade Warrior

Aww, shi....

« Reply #1 on: Sun, March 27, 2005, 04:18:38 »

I'll give just about anyone a chance, but if I see Rob Liefield's name attached to a project, I let it lay.

When a wise man does not understand, he says "I do not understand."....
kikuchiyo
Crusade Warrior

Shi loves me, Shi loves me not

« Reply #2 on: Mon, March 28, 2005, 10:06:03 »

but if I see Rob Liefield's name attached to a project, I let it lay.

Same here.
I really like EBAS (eric basaldua(sp?), Silvestri,Horn, of course Billy and Mark. quite a few others, i'll have to get back on this one.

Geisto
Crusade Newbie

*errp*

« Reply #3 on: Wed, March 30, 2005, 11:21:37 »

I am fine as long as its not Sale or Mignola. I dont like their style at all.

My fav besides Billy and Mark is Simon Bisley. I love his Judge Dredd stuff and the Ninja Turtles on 'roids. All three is scheduled for the BigAppleCon this weekend, I cant wait.
BillyTucci
Administrator
Crusade Warrior

The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.

« Reply #4 on: Tue, April 5, 2005, 15:54:54 »

I'd like to know which creators have been jerks to you fans (and professionals) out there...

And then let's go hunting!

Seriously, I think this'll be an interesting thread with even more interesting stories...

If I am included, please let me know how and what happened.

THANK YOU FOR 13 WONDERFUL YEARS OF SHI and Crusade.  YOU HAVE ALL CHANGED MY LIFE AND I AM HONORED.
The Frankster
Crusade Warrior

Whatchu gonna do when the Frankster runs wild on u

« Reply #5 on: Tue, April 5, 2005, 17:26:05 »

My favorite pencilers:
John Romita Sr. & Jr., Alex Saviuk, Billy Tucci, David Finch, Michael Turner, Mark Bagley, Mike Deodato Jr., Phil Jiminez, Kevin Eastman, Angel Medina, Guy Gilchrist, Terry Dodson, Frank Cho, and J. Scott Campbell (he usta be my hero years ago till he turned into a cover artist where you see he rushed through his work he totally let me down).

Favorite Inkers: (these are the ones I'm only really big on)
Scott Hanna, Tom Palmer, Nelson DeCastro

Favorite Writers: J. Michael Stracynski, Bendis (sorry Billy... the man writes great stories and was always nice to me), Dan Slott, Billy, and Stan Lee of course

Favorite Painters: Greg Horn, Adi Granov, Peter Mahew, Tom Palmer, Simon Bisely, David Mack, Dave Devries, Dorian Cleavenger and definitely not Sparky ( ;D LOL just kiddin dude)

------ >:(  Least favorite artist writers) >:(------------
Adam Warren, Gary Frank (well only before Supreme Power), Any writer responsible for the Damn spider-man clone saga (you'll burn in hell for this), Chuck Austen (only as elektra artist), Howard Mackie, jim mahfood, Kevin Smith, Frank Miller (art only), John Byrne (art only)

I'd like to know which creators have been jerks to you fans (and professionals) out there...

And then let's go hunting!

Seriously, I think this'll be an interesting thread with even more interesting stories...

If I am included, please let me know how and what happened.

Well Billy here's the Wanted list: >:(
1. Gene Colan (old money hungrey bastard)
2. Herbe Trimpe (exploded on my friend accusing him of being a dealer).
3. one of the head artist of Tokyo Pop (nearly crushed my hopes and dreams)
4. Joe Jusko (somewhat)
5. Sal Buscema (only on bad days... he told me to stay out of the comic business & that it wasnt worth it)
6. MArk Texiera ('nuff said)
7. Alex Maleev (a backstabber that ripped me off)
8. Joe Quesada (too cocky)

Most Bizarre:
Erik Larsen, Bill Sienkewicz  ::)

as for Nicest: :D
Billy, Alex Saviuk, Angel Medina (gave me a positive outlook on my future), The Romitas, Kevin Eastman, Scott Hanna, Nelson Decastro (very funny & does great Columbo impressions), Tom Palmer, David Mack, Dave Finch, Phil Jiminez,  Dan Slott, and o what heck good ole Sparky.

I'm sure they're were a couple of names I missed for each category o well this is the main ones i'm talking about.

For the latest updates from Your\'s truly check out the frankster\'s files!!!<br />
pctchuck
Crusade Warrior

Aww, shi....

« Reply #6 on: Tue, April 5, 2005, 17:35:14 »

You know, I had to think a while on this one.  While I have met many comic creators, I can think of only three instances where the pro was a bit of a jerk, and one of those can be explained away.  The first is Tony Millionaire (Sock Monkey).  He really wasn't a jerk, but just really different, kind of scary to be around.  The second was Carmine Infantimo (sp?), but he was the star of the show and really busy that day, only taking the time necessary to sign an item and send you on your way.  The third person, who really just seemed full of himself, and kind of a jerk, was Jim Steranko, at last year's Royalfest, where I finally got to meet Billy.  Mr. Steranko signed with a black sharpie on a black background, then tried to pass it off as if he had done something special.  One special note on another situation, comic related... I stood in line for over an hour to meet Anne Rice and have her sign some comic adaptations of her books.  When I got to the front of the line, her assistant boldly announced that she would not sign any comics.  She saw that I had one of the graphic novels, and said she would sign it.  And she did. Not on the title page or any of the blank pages at the start of the book, but over the artwork on page three.  To tell the truth, I was so angry at her assistant that I cannot tell you what she looked like on that day.  I never saw her, even though she was right in front of me, I was that angry.
Most comic people will go out of their way killing you with kindness if you just compliment them on the job that they do.  Many respect you more if after the compliment, you point out a thing that you really loved, and maybe point out something that just didn't work for you, you know, a point of constructive criticism.
Then there are guys like Billy who will end up putting your name on a tombstone in one of their comics.  Really Billy, I liked it a lot, so thanks again! :D

JCVaughn
Crusade Warrior

Vi Et Armis.

« Reply #7 on: Tue, April 5, 2005, 18:01:35 »

The Good Guys (in no particular order):
Billy
Beau Smith
Jeph Loeb
Brian Bendis
Don McGregor
Terry Moore
Michael Oeming
Mark Wheatley
Jim Shooter
Gene Gonzales
Mike Solof
Mark Sparacio
Mike Malbrough
Jeff Mariotte
Jimmy Palmiotti
Amanda Conner
Jamal Igle
JG Jones
Joe Jusko
Mark Ricketts
Will Pfiefer
Mike Hawthorne
Denis Kitchen
George Perez
Will Eisner was always phenomenal, too
Joe Simon, who even sent me a cool note after we met
Geoff Johns
Jim Krueger
Neil Gaiman
Mike Baron
Michael T. Gilbert
Alex Simmons
Max Allan Collins
Kevin Eastman (who I didn't get to talk with for very long, but who introduced himself to me in an elevator in the San Diego Hyatt)
Bob Tinnell
Todd Livingston
Neil Vokes
John K. Snyder III
Matt Wagner
Alex Saviuk

Stan isn't so much nice as really good with the fans and that's gotta count somewhat

(and I'm very sorry to the nice folks I'm leaving off the list)

« Last Edit: Tue, April 5, 2005, 18:03:39 by JCVaughn » Logged

If you're on Facebook, let me know!
kikuchiyo
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #8 on: Tue, April 5, 2005, 19:05:55 »

Then there are guys like Billy who will end up putting your name on a tombstone in one of their comics.  Really Billy, I liked it a lot, so thanks again!

Man Billy, I wanna be put into a comic too. That would be the ultimate in coolness. ;D

Delvie
Crusader
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #9 on: Tue, April 5, 2005, 21:09:54 »

This is somewhat of a loaded post. I have fav artists, then I have fav personalities.  

Fav artists are primarily artists that I would like to see Shi covers from. Dark One, Dorian Cleavenger, Matt Busch, Luis Royo, Michael Turner, Matt Haley, Sylvestri, Mike Choi, Jay Anacleto, etc. I would like to say I like all past artists for Shi, but honestly, I've not met hardly any. Billy too. Duh. Thought that went w/out saying.

Fav personalities are Billy, (haven't officially met JC or Sparky yet, but they sound fun to prank w/) Mike Choi & Matt Haley.

The editor for Top Cow (Scott Tucker) gave me a Top Cow Artist Tag to wear & come behind the table to avoid getting thrown out when the PTBs of Emerald City Comic Con kicked all the con attendees out while Mike Choi did my Shi sketch so that gets a major kudos.

Least fav artist would be Rafa Lopez. I only say that because I get a headache looking @ his stuff. His backgrounds are WAY to busy & the subject matter seems to get lost in the pictures.

Least fav person in comic industry, Christensen. But I haven't met that many people yet.

There are a bunch of people I've neglected to mention, I'm sure. This is just a base list.
« Last Edit: Wed, April 6, 2005, 07:38:11 by Delvie » Logged

COGITO ERGO BOOM ~ I  think therefore my head explodes
jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #10 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 02:38:29 »

Either you are all being too nice or you truly do not know of anyone you dislike in the industry.

Delvie
Crusader
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #11 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 07:49:04 »

I'm being nice. My subconcious thinks Christensen's a crook.
But I don't want to be a hater, so screw it.
« Last Edit: Wed, April 6, 2005, 07:50:49 by Delvie » Logged

kikuchiyo
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #12 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 08:13:48 »

I haven't had a bad experience with anyone in my visits to their booths.
I saw Alex Ross, and just stood there like an idiot. Not having a clue what to say for the longest time, then finally muttering how I thought the "eyes" on Jean Grey and Emma Frost , from Wizard Magazine were probably the best I have ever seen on a comic image. He appreciated the comment.
Also met Brian Rood(sp?) last year, Billy suggested I stop by his booth to get a print that he had colored signed. He was pretty cool.
David Mack is very friendly, like Billy, but pretty mellow,unlike Billy. ;D

kikuchiyo
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #13 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 08:19:04 »

Just a small note...
Billy is the most appreciative guy that anyone could ever meet. It's like he's YOUR fan and he gives such heartfelt thanks to you for enjoying his work and stopping by to say hello.
He greets you like you are one of his buddies from back in the day with a hug and slap and the back. His wife Debra is also incredible. They appreciate all that WE the fans have done for their family. It is just amazing how humble they are. You guys are the best.

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #14 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 09:07:50 »

I met David Mack a few times now and he is low-key.  He likes to talk with the fans at the cons, but does not initiate the conversation like Billy.  David Mack and Andy Lee have similar styles of painting.   Andy is one of my favorite artists due to his personality.   He just sits there painting away, happy as can be.

Delvie
Crusader
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #15 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 10:22:39 »

Just a small note...
Billy is the most appreciative guy that anyone could ever meet. It's like he's YOUR fan and he gives such heartfelt thanks to you for enjoying his work and stopping by to say hello.
He greets you like you are one of his buddies from back in the day with a hug and slap and the back. His wife Debra is also incredible. They appreciate all that WE the fans have done for their family. It is just amazing how humble they are. You guys are the best.

Wait til you meet mama! She's incredible. It's easy to see where Billy developed his kindness from.
« Last Edit: Wed, April 6, 2005, 10:23:04 by Delvie » Logged

pctchuck
Crusade Warrior

Aww, shi....

« Reply #16 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 17:44:10 »

I do have to say that meeting Billy was incredible.  I walked up to his booth at Royalfest with my son, and before I could really even say anything he was greeting me by name.  I have sent in a couple of pictures of my son and I reading Shi years ago, and had shaved off my beard a couple of weeks prior to the con, and he still knew who I was just by me walking up.  Incredible.  Thanks for making a fan feel special Billy.

kikuchiyo
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #17 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 19:27:38 »

Thanks for making a fan feel special Billy.

Thats Billy for you. Gotta love the guy.

marksparacio
Crusade Uchi-deshi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Mon, April 11, 2005, 18:20:27 »

Well, I just had to get in on ths action as a bunch of you guys named me in the list of their favorite artists. I just want to say "Thanks and I am truly honored!" But I am sorry to say that I WILL disappoint a great many more of you when you do meet me in person. Sad. But true.

Here comes the easy part:

Some of my favorite artists that I've met (and some that I just admire their work) are:
The ones I've met:               The ones I've never met:
Flash Tucci                            Frank Frazetta
Jeff Vaughn                           Boris Vallejo
Will Eisner                             Norman Rockwell  
Alex Saviuk                            J.C. Leyendeker
Mark McKenna                       Coles Phillips
Jim Califiore                           Mac Raboy
Mike McKone                          Lou Fine
Brian(GravyBoy) Shearer       Reed Crandell
Mark Texiera                          Neal Adams
Bo Hampton                           Marshall Rogers
Rags Morales                         Michael Golden
Joe Simon                              Jack Kirby
Jim Starlin                              Drew Struzan
Marie Severin                         Richard Amsel

Now comes the tough part:
When I was a kid(16 years old), I had the opportunity to meet one artist who I really looked up to and admired his work. I met him at a show and after listening to him tear down the comics industry for an hour and a half (and still giving him the benefit of the
doubt), I naively went up to him to ask his opinion on my admittedly high-school, amateurish work. Instead of saying, like other professionals and teachers that I had met, to "take some life drawing classes and study the figure some more and keep practicing", he shredded me. To pieces. And then he put me through a wood chipper just to make sure there was nothing left. He told me that my work stunk, that I had no future as an artist and that I should think about another profession. What a joik! What a maroon! He didn't really damage me. Nope! He set a fire under my butt, like you wouldn't believe. I really wanted to work my butt off and prove him wrong. I dunno. I look back on it all these years later and tell myself maybe he was having a bad day. A very BAD day. 'Cause he certainly took it out on me. So my one bad artist meeting, and trust me, my good friend Richard Martin(who was there with me witnessing "the shredding") and I still talk about it to this day, was: John Buscema.
If anybody out there in Shi-land has some good stories to tell about Big John, I certainly would want to hear them, because I'd rather think that I just caught him on a bad day. So anybody, anybody...
kikuchiyo
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #19 on: Mon, April 11, 2005, 20:26:32 »

A very BAD day. 'Cause he certainly took it out on me. So my one bad artist meeting, and trust me, my good friend Richard Martin(who was there with me witnessing "the shredding") and I still talk about it to this day, was: John Buscema.  

I'm sorry I read this. John Buscema is the lone artist who's work engulfed me in the medium of comic books. Though I am not a professional nor a published artist, Big John has made me want to get better as an illustrator. I have many great memories because of what JB has inspired me to do. Not that I ever met the man, but because of the world he created that I enjoy so much. Comics are a great escape to me. I was very sad to hear of his passing, almost felt as if I had lost a grandfather. One of my treasured pieces is a hardbound book with his signature inside.
Mark, I am sorry about your experience, but not entirely, because now I get to enjoy the art that you bring to life. I hope that after reading this, you'll ralize the "shredding" was for a purpose. Congratulations to you for proving Big John wrong, and thank you for being a member of the Shi Family.

marksparacio
Crusade Uchi-deshi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: Tue, April 12, 2005, 03:32:33 »

Thanks Kikuchiyo. You're one of the reasons why I want to hear "good" John Buscema stories. I really don't want to believe he spent his whole life as miserable as he was that day I met him. I'm glad to hear that he had inspired  you to be a better artist. Like I said, I was an admirer of his work as well. The guy could really draw. It just shocked me that he would be so brutal to a kid who I'm sure he had to know was very impressionable. Thank God I had met Marie Severin(she was the art director up at Marvel) before I had met John Buscema, because she was very helpful and gave me very good advice. It was also my good fortune to have Will Eisner as a teacher, because part of his advice to me was to know which criticism to take and which to dismiss. Thanks also for welcoming me into the Shi- family and for your kind words regarding my artwork.

If there is anybody else who has some more "good" John Buscema stories, I'd love to hear them...
pctchuck
Crusade Warrior

Aww, shi....

« Reply #21 on: Tue, April 12, 2005, 12:41:22 »

No story on Big John, but I must say that you have met an incredible set of artist.  I would have loved to meet a couple of people on that list of yours.  If you ever get the chance to come to St. Louis... maybe I can add meeting you to my list!

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #22 on: Tue, April 12, 2005, 15:15:07 »

Artists and writers I have met that I like in no particular order:

Billy Tucci
Jeff Vaughn
Andy Lee
Ed Coutts
Eddy Newell
Talent Caldwell
Jim Steranko
Joe Jusko
George Perez
Amanda Conner
Jimmy Palmiotti
David Mack
Greg Horn
Walt Simonson
Sergio Aragones
BUZZ
Beau Smith
Joseph Michael Linsner (even though he had a bad day once)
Sean McKeever
Dwayne McDuffie
Rowena Morrill
Thomas FLEMing
Chris Ring
Scott Rosema
« Last Edit: Tue, April 12, 2005, 15:16:11 by jsniderfamily » Logged

Nishiko
Crusade Grand Master

*thump*

« Reply #23 on: Tue, April 12, 2005, 18:54:55 »

Damn, I feel like such a rube. I haven't met nearly half as many. :'(

\"How do you know the Chosen Ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame -- for one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know, or see.\"
marksparacio
Crusade Uchi-deshi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #24 on: Wed, April 13, 2005, 04:20:18 »

Hey pctchuck, just to clarify, the list on the left is artists that I've met. The scraggly list on the right is artists that have influenced me. When I was typing it in on the post, it was nice and neat. But when it posted on the actual forum, it turned into that mess that you see. So the list of Frank Frazetta through Richard Amsel are artists that I've never met but have influenced my work. As far as coming to St. Louis, I'm not scheduled to do any shows there this year(maybe next year?). The closest I'll be to St. Louis is the Motor City Con in Novi, Michigan, May 13th, 14th and 15th. If that works for you both Flash Tucci and I will be there. In fact we are doing a re-creation of the classic cover to Superman #14 for the cover to the convention program book. Also there is talk that they are going to run that image on about 100 or so shirts as a special promotional give-away. So if you're up that way, stop by and say "Hi!"...

ummmm... you too, Nishiko...
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: