Sun, March 24, 2019, 11:09:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Crusade Fine Arts Forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Snider files!  (Read 150476 times)
jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

Glad to still be reading comics in my 50's.

« on: Sat, March 26, 2005, 10:17:30 »

This is a new thread meant to be a blog of sorts.
Please feel free to throw your two cents in if the subject stirs you to do so.

On collecting comics since the 1960's:
In the 60's and 70's real innovation in comic art took place and science fiction stories like Galactus and the Silver Surfer created a different sort of comic book.
I collected Conan and Dr Strange and the Treasury Editions (oversized magazine type collections of comic book stories).   12 cents were the first comic prices that I knew of.  Then came 15 and 20 and 25 cent comics.
That was still affordable.   Once it got to $1 and up, I quit collecting until year 2000.  

Once firmly entrenched into EBAY in 2000, I started finding items to collect at decent prices.    Then the education of bad-girl comics came about.   SHI was distinctive and I decided to collect those issues in a big way.   The 1980's held no allure for me.  1993-1998 was the period of innovation again.   Artistic talents came to the forefront with some artists like Billy and Amanda and Linsner and Greg Horn.   The Death of Superman included a massive ad campaign and 1 year of issues dedicated to a single theme which has never been matched as far as I know.

Not having lived through the period of collecting first hand in the mid-1990's I had to research and work at it to find issues that were obscure and that was half the fun.   Of course Avatar and the fact that variants were done, made it expensive as well.   Those $75 and $100 blue foil and antiquity issues add up very quickly.  One disappointment was black and white comics with color covers.   The printing process must be very expensive these days to not print in color, or people are getting greedy.

Eventually I graduated to collecting comic art.
I consider myself still a novice at this, but the artists like the way I treat them, which is always with respect and an admiration for their talents.   EBAY is not the only place to find comics and comic art, but if I told you all my secrets I would have to kill you.  

I believe that true collectors are either obsessive or compulsive or both.   While I do not lock doors 5 times or wash my hands every 10 minutes, I do spend a crazy amount of time working on the collection.   The fun part is putting the items on the web site.   I have learned so much about putting web sites together by this process.
The web and comics/art are a natural together.  During my research I found Chris' site called crusade-fan and the kettman site for trading cards.   Those 2 sites helped me immensely in getting educated.  Web sites with comic covers are very useful.   Checklists when you can find them are also useful.

Over the last several years, I have met many artists as well.   The ones I like the most treat me well in return.
The ones I like least are the primadonnas or those stuck on themselves that they do not give you the time of day.  

Like:  Billy Tucci, Eddy Newell, Greg Horn, Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Mark Sparacio, Thomas FLEMing, BUZZ, Joe Jusko, George Perez, Jeff Vaughn, Sean McKeever, Andy Lee, Ray Lago and Sergio Aragones.

Dislike or are just too expensive: Turner, Steranko, Linsner (snubbed people in line at a convention which really turned me off - the very next week I sold all my DAWN comics), Boris Vallejo, Luis Royo.

All in all, comic artists are a good bunch and I will continue to support them as I can.

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #1 on: Sun, March 27, 2005, 02:35:24 »

Just re-watched Romeo Must Die.  Jet Li has so many great moves.  The crunching spine special effect at the end of the movie was outstanding.   One nice surprise was that Grace Park was one of the sexy dancers in the beginning of the film.

I thought about the ELektra movie and what was good about it, since so many things were bad about it.  The blind sensei actor did a good job and Jennifer looked good in the outfits.  It will be interesting to see how the DVD sales go.  As long as movie makers see money coming in, comic book heroines have a chance.  If the antagonist was one person vs 5 or 6 the movie would have been better.   The lesson of less is more certainly applies in this case.

Relating to a SHI movie or animation film, keeping it simple to know who the protagonist and antagonist are is an asset.   Of course a tattoo'ed Arashi would be an easy one to spot.   Then comes the story line.  Is it believable and showcases human beings or special effects.   As in Spider-Man the love interest worked because it showed the human side.   Dr Octopus was a complex villain and showed what a great character adds to the story as well.   Key people in a SHI movie have to be SHI, the grandfather, Arashi and Tomoe.

The last part is the beauty of the film.   Are you making a dark Sin City type of setting or beautiful landscapes like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or Hero.

My feeling is that the Incredibles vs Fantastic Four will also show us that if an audience can relate to the characters ( 4 person family that had characteristics of most families like a strong dad figure, loving mom, precocious little boy and sister that is smart ) vs escapism of fantasy that can't really happen to me will mean big box office differences.  I see the FF movie being the next ELektra for that reason.   People will not be able to relate to anyone but Ben Grimm who has the ugly complex.  
« Last Edit: Sun, March 27, 2005, 02:41:14 by jsniderfamily » Logged

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #2 on: Mon, March 28, 2005, 11:36:57 »

I think I will do an experiment.
I will take only the writing from a SEMPO book and from a JU-NEN book and from one of the early titles.
Then once I see the page number and what text is on each of the pages, how long the text is, how much punctuation is used, if slang is used, maybe I can get an insight into comic book writing.  If Will Eisner can tell a story with no text, I wonder if the reverse it true that a story line can hold its own without the images.
There was an Elektra  in the Marvel Knights series that had images with no text.  Elektra is holding her finger to her gorgeous lips as if to say SHHHHH!!!!
More to come on the experiment.

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #3 on: Mon, March 28, 2005, 12:28:04 »

SEMPO #1:
PAGE1:
For us, the mission started on board a train traveling across England.
It began with a simple action.
Reginald Hawkins Riley of MI-6 handed Yoshitora a file.
In Kovno, Lithuania, the Japanese Consul-General SEMPO Sugihara had been ordered by the Tojo government to stop giving passes of exit visas to Jews.
This must be embarassing to our government when dealing with their axis brethren.
Page2:
We didn't get long to think about precisely how embarrassing it was for them.  THUNK! THUNK!
The Japanese and Germans had sent agents to deal with the embarrassment.
Get them!
Idiot! Now we've got to ...
The Nara Sohei were not accumstomed to working with their German counterparts.
Shoot them!
PAGE3:
GAAAAA!
Ungh?
Jump! It's our only chance!
Why don't both of you jump?
Page4:
Later, when we arrived at Kovno, we knew the clock was already ticking for the Consul-General and we'd have to act quickly.  Yoshitora took a direct route to contact him.
While I went by more a circuitous path.
Help us!
Take my family! Just my family! Help us!
Page5:
Please, sir!
The train's about to leave!
Page6:
Our timing could have been better...
...but it also could have been much worse.
Huh?
Page7:
That doesn't seem very sporting.
This far behind Soviet lines, I didn't suspect he'd give up quietly.
Page8:
Unh!
I was right.
YA!
Die, you inferior bitch!
Page9:
What would prime minister Tojo say about his master race allies now?
I don't need this to take care of the likes of you!
I said die!
Page10:
Unh!
Watch out!
I don't know what would make me call out to this man who was trying to kill me.  Perhaps it was my faith.
Grab my hand!
Hang on!
Aacckk!
Page11:
Only a skilled archer could have made that shot.
And only a true master could have made that shot and disappeared so quickly.
Though even in Lituania it was a little odd to think of Nara Sohei driving a getaway car.
Page12:
Useless bastard.
Maybe not so useless.
Ana, the train's left without you!
Page13:
You've got to be on that train.
As the train sped up, Riley sped up even faster.
Page14:
I had never traveled that fast in my life, but I knew what he intended to do.
There's a crossing up ahead. Get ready!
Now!
Page15:
I have you granddaughter.
Page16:
I presume there is a reason for your unusual arrival.
There was a sniper.
He was killed before he could talk.
Page17:
Now. Tell me what happened.
I saw the man was targeting SEMPO with a sniper rifle.  I stopped him before he could tell me anything.  He was killed by an arrow fired from the crowd.
The attackers were gone by the time I was able to reach the ground.  Then Mr Riley arrived to help me catch the train.
Who would have thought such a rogue would be so punctual?
Do you think there will be others, grandfather.
I thnk SEMPO-SAN is still an attractive target to our enemies.
Page18:
I wish you would not speak of me as if I were not here.
He meant no offense Consul-General.
I am joking Miss Ishikawa.  I appreciate everything you and Yoshitora have done.  I just wish I could have done more myself.   I fear what fate -- or more precisely Herr Hitler--has in mind for those we've left behind.
Page19:
You have risked much already.
The real risk to my honor was doing nothing.
Many have done less.  Many more will do less than that.
At the expense of their humanity!
Page20:
There will no doubt be consequences.
There are always consequences, my friend.
So, you thiink the threats to my life will continue?
Page21:
You can count on it.

21 pages.  Hardly any slang in it. Cliffhanger at the end.
Good character association and explaining the action.
I could follow the action without pictures.

Page1:64 words,  2:49,  3:13, 4:48, 5:7, 6:15, 7:17
Page 8:9, 10:27, 11:41, 12:12, 13:17, 14:25
Page 15:4, 16:21, 17:89, 18:58, 19:31, 20:22, 21:5

Intro and climax took the most words.  Interesting.
Total of 574 words.  In the book everything is in caps.

« Last Edit: Mon, March 28, 2005, 12:28:53 by jsniderfamily » Logged

JCVaughn
Crusade Warrior

Vi Et Armis.

« Reply #4 on: Mon, March 28, 2005, 16:52:36 »

Joe -

Shoot me your email and I'll shoot you some scripts.

JCV

If you're on Facebook, let me know!
jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #5 on: Mon, March 28, 2005, 23:22:30 »

Great!  I sent it to you as an instant message.

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #6 on: Tue, March 29, 2005, 23:41:42 »

Influences of writers and artists.
This is something that fascinates me, because I see links in almost everything.  We have proven that with the quiz linking Marth Stewart and Miss Piggy to SHI.  Who was Billy influenced by - or Jeff Vaughn?  Who affected their style the most?  Who are people they hang out with or try to emulate?  Is what they read or their hobbies that influence in their style?  Do their goals match up somehow with the influences?  
« Last Edit: Wed, March 30, 2005, 05:06:55 by jsniderfamily » Logged

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #7 on: Wed, March 30, 2005, 05:30:59 »

With David Mack and Andy Lee you get the sense that their paintings are spiritual.   The colors indicate both uplifting bright outlooks and also the darker side of human nature.   Dichotomy like that makes it interesting to look at.

With Joe Jusko, Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell you can see the 3-D aspects of the human body in action.  How they draw the muscles on a character like CONAN with the sinews stretched and back muscles super developed.
Last year I saw a painting from Joe Jusko of just a man's back.  You could tell it was CONAN even though no face was showing.  ROWENA is another fantasy artist that gives me the same feeling as these others above.

When I see some art from Luis Royo though, it is almost never light hearted.  Even when showing a beautiful woman in light colors, he paints them with worried looks on their faces as if they are escaping from something.
He draws for shock value to be sure (just look at the RAZOR #40 nude variant showing a woman with hardware included).

Billy is to comic art as Ray Charles was to music.  Billy makes every stroke count.   It is not frenetic like BUZZ, or as detailed as other artists drawings.  Ray Charles was a minimalist too.   The purity of the music came from the tone of the voice and when you look at the way Billy draws SHI, the music comes from the lines of the picture forming more than just a geometric shape when it is complete.  The long lines of the legs and curves of the feet stand out vs other artists.  Must be the fashion training.  Do you feel anything from looking at most comic art?   The Jusko Senryaku #3 and the Illustrated Warrior #5 are two of my favorites.  They show some of the best versions of BUNS in the Senryaku case and LEGS in the Illustrated Warrior cover.
When you hit a great baseball pitch way out into the outfield, you connected and it is a great feeling.  I think it must be a similar feeling when the pencil hits the paper and you know you are producing something great!

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #8 on: Thu, March 31, 2005, 23:54:21 »

Just finished putting out the comics for the GEN 13 section of the south wing of the museum.  Over 200 images there and I haven't done the cards yet.
In going through the issues I noticed that Louise and Walter Simonson did an issue.  I forgot that they did one.
I just read the HAVOK and WOLVERINE MELTDOWN TPB. It has painted pages and is just beautiful.  The story is classic also.
My good pal Delvie just sent me the AKAI 1A with SHI on it.  I posted it on the web site this morning.  Hat is off to you Delvie!!!
So many things going through my head lately.  Getting ready for the Pittsburgh convention.  The lady with the feeding tube removed just died.  Earthquakes in Indonesia killing thousands.   An image of George Bush in a diaper (thanks SURY for that image that is now stuck in my head), my youngest daughter turning 16 today.

Delvie
Crusader
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #9 on: Fri, April 1, 2005, 00:01:28 »

Happy Bday to your daughter from the Crusade Bunch

Gen13 page looks killer
« Last Edit: Fri, April 1, 2005, 00:02:00 by Delvie » Logged

COGITO ERGO BOOM ~ I  think therefore my head explodes
suryanijan
Crusade Sensei

« Reply #10 on: Fri, April 1, 2005, 01:58:06 »

Happy B-day to Snider Jr too.  And hey, anytime!  Will always strive to bring fulsome images to your head.  By the way, has anyone ever noticed that Newt Gingrich kinda looks Hardy from Laurel & Hardy?  Really, think about it.  Put a hat on him, pencil in the Hitler mou ... and voila!  Another image for you ...

Bigotry is not attractive.  Neither is stupidity.  So stop it.
jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #11 on: Fri, April 1, 2005, 02:48:00 »

Happy Bday to your daughter from the Crusade Bunch

Gen13 page looks killer

Thanks Delvie!
It amounted to 287 images so far.

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #12 on: Sun, April 3, 2005, 14:44:10 »

As I am cleaning (I should say attempting to clean) up the comic room, the EBAY auctions and the comics to fulfill the auctions are in the way.  I have these 30" by 40" plastic loader sheets for movie posters but I use them for uncut card sheets.  They are also in the way.  It feels like I have so much to do that it is overwhelming and it will not get done.   Experience tells me that is not true, but the feelings come about anyway.  

TO DO LIST: Read SAMURAI WARRIOR for a second time.  Take pictures of the 2 Greg Horn paintings.  Package up 4 EBAY auctions to ship Monday during lunch.  Make enough space in the comic room for a piece of shelving for the Wizard 1st 100 collection.  Scan the GEN13 cards for the museum.  Set aside the comics to get signed or tour books for Billy to draw on in preparation for Pittsburgh this month.  Feed the 9 cats.  Pumpkin is the leader and has the shape of big bird.  He cleans everyone and will lick your skin off if you let him.  Then comes Bubba and Bus (pronounced BIZ though) short for Lord knows what, CC, LIZ the matriarch of the bunch at 12 years old - fat and sassy still, Ebony, CALI (since she is a Calico type) who fetches for us, Bootsy and Baxter.  We have a dog named Bessy too.  They all have their talents and quirks, just like we human pets.  They think we are their pets, since we require training.  We are their human pets.  Then there is getting ready for work also and putting together some new collections to sell on EBAY to put the proceeds towards the convention fund.  Silver Surfer, Wonder Woman, Razor, under 40 cent covers, TPB's, a set of BATMAN comics. and then a bad girls lot.

pctchuck
Crusade Warrior

Aww, shi....

« Reply #13 on: Sun, April 3, 2005, 17:34:18 »

Hey, you make my to do list look puny.  All I had to do this weekend was taxes, laundry, shopping, straighten comic collection, update autograph listing (picked up four signatures from Ray Lago Saturday, including the cover he did for Strangers in Paradise!), straighten card collection, get use to time change, love my wife & son, pretend that I'm Toby Keith (My List, hahahahaha). Really though, taxes are always a shudder moment, even if I have everything ready to go.  Must be easy for a math man like you!  Most of my stuff didn't get done as planned.  Hope you had better luck.

When a wise man does not understand, he says "I do not understand."....
jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #14 on: Mon, April 4, 2005, 00:15:49 »

I think it will take the next 2 weeks to finish my list.  The cats are absolutely no help!

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #15 on: Mon, April 4, 2005, 00:29:04 »

Since the Pope is now in Heaven (I hope and believe), it brought back a memory of a family member who had to go to the hospital and was coded for 45 minutes.  She was clinically dead and the doctor just wanted her husband not to see a truly dead woman when he arrived, since he worked 45 minutes away.  Hospital policy was to code only 30 minutes up to this event.  Long story short, she came out of it, and the thought was she would be brain damaged.   She only had loss of short term memory.   This was permanent for the next 4 months of her short life.   I had never been around a person with permanent short term memory loss.   She would ask for the time.  You would give it to her.   10 minutes later she would not remember she asked, and would ask again.    Or...she would say "How did you get here?" a couple of times at the beginning of a visit.    In that 4 months she was able to see her youngest child get married, which was her dream.    She did relate the experience of being dead to her sisters.  The light, seeing her father, talking to a whole host of relatives, and desperately not wanting to leave it.    Her father told her to go back.  She did not want to.  She was ready.   The pain of the cancer was gone.     But, she did what her father told her to do.

pctchuck
Crusade Warrior

Aww, shi....

« Reply #16 on: Mon, April 4, 2005, 17:46:13 »

The closets that I can come to this is my Grandfather.  He had a massive stroke while I was in my early teens.  Through the sheer determination of my Grandmother, he was kept alive, at home except for a few more visits to the hospital, for over 7 years.  He never was the man I vaguely recall from my early youth.  We had to hide the kitchen knives and really keep our eyes on him when we would go to visit.  After one stroke, he came to and the doctors asked if he knew anyone in the room.  His wife and children (all 6) were there, and the only one he recognized was his wife, and he called her by her maiden name, after they had been married over 50 years.  His passing was bittersweet, we all mourned, but we knew that he really hadn't been with us for years.

When a wise man does not understand, he says "I do not understand."....
jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #17 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 02:55:08 »

My wife and I are getting hooked on a new TV show called HOUSE.  It is a medical show where a key patient is very hard to diagnose.   Lots of conflict on the show between people, trying to live up to the chief's expectations.    We are always trying to figure it out like a mystery movie before the ending.    All of them have been easier than Delvie's 200th SHI quiz.

Wouldn't you love to find a niche on EBAY, make a fortune and retire.  I would.  I have not found it yet. ...must keep looking.    The 80's and 90's comic book market has gone pretty much bust, so no profits there.  TPB's still keep their value, but are also being sold for a fraction of their cost right now.   I am trying to buy and sell comic art, so we will see how that goes.
Mostly just buying right now.

« Last Edit: Wed, April 6, 2005, 12:44:23 by jsniderfamily » Logged

JCVaughn
Crusade Warrior

Vi Et Armis.

« Reply #18 on: Wed, April 6, 2005, 05:58:45 »

My wife and I are getting hooked on a new TV show called HOUSE.  It is a medical show where a key patient is very hard to diagnose.   Lots of conflict on the show between people, trying to live up to the chief's expectations.    We are always trying to figure it out like a mystery movie before the ending.    

I used to watch Hugh Laurie, who plays Dr. House, on Jeeves and Wooster. He was great. Incredible range of talent that guy has!

If you're on Facebook, let me know!
jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #19 on: Thu, April 7, 2005, 01:55:04 »

I was on a call with 3 Microsoft sales folks yesterday.  The marketing and powerpoints went on forever and my mind started wandering.   Then the one person from our team asked if any other customers were using this product, a rep answered "There is a gentleman who is doing this that we can get you in contact with."  Without hesitation, I said, "Is there someone who has done this that is not a gentleman?"   Silence for a couple seconds....then laughter....of course my team knows that I inject humor into situations, but the marketing reps had just met me on this teleconference.  After 23 years in the IT business, I guess that is my only outlet for fun is to harrass vendors.

jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #20 on: Fri, April 8, 2005, 03:29:03 »

My daughter's birthday was April 1st, but she is celebrating it tonight.  She has decorated the basement and has requested CHIC FILET for snacks.  That is my job - to pick up snacks prior to 6pm.   Since this is more of a combined birthday party for 3 people, there will be a ton (probably around 40) of kids at the house tonight.    

Her next big step in life will be driving.   She wants to drive big vehicles and feels more safe in them.  Maybe she would like a small truck with SHI painted on it somewhere.  Pimp my ride, Sparacio!   Do you think they would allow her to park that on the school grounds?

This summer I want to finish a book idea about 3 surgeries I had - the kidney removal, back surgery and eye surgery.   It has religious meaning for me, and the title will be "I See More Clearly on My Knees"  which has several meaning in and of itself.  Prayer is obvious.  Having enough pain that you are brought to your knees.   Having lasex plus surgery and getting rid of glasses that I have worn since 4th grade with Mrs. Rogers.  Finally seeing clearly spiritually and physically.
Of course the perverts in the audience might think it is a Monica Lewinski autobiography.  Who could do the artwork for this book.   Hmmm...

BillyTucci
Administrator
Crusade Warrior

The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.

« Reply #21 on: Fri, April 8, 2005, 05:45:28 »

As I told Joe, count me in for a piece of artwork for the book!

THANK YOU FOR 13 WONDERFUL YEARS OF SHI and Crusade.  YOU HAVE ALL CHANGED MY LIFE AND I AM HONORED.
jsniderfamily
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #22 on: Fri, April 8, 2005, 08:00:57 »

I'll remember that!

sllamky01
Crusade Warrior

READY TO KICK SOME ASS

« Reply #23 on: Fri, April 8, 2005, 10:23:16 »

:)    HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daughter!   :)

You must be a brave man to have 40 kids all at once over.  ::)  I am getting a headache just thinking about it!

My son just started to drive on his own last fall .  You should see how much gray I have in my hair now.  :o
Delvie
Crusader
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #24 on: Fri, April 8, 2005, 15:42:42 »

This summer I want to finish a book idea about 3 surgeries I had - the kidney removal, back surgery and eye surgery.   It has religious meaning for me, and the title will be "I See More Clearly on My Knees"  which has several meaning in and of itself.  Prayer is obvious.  Having enough pain that you are brought to your knees.   Having lasex plus surgery and getting rid of glasses that I have worn since 4th grade with Mrs. Rogers.  Finally seeing clearly spiritually and physically.
Of course the perverts in the audience might think it is a Monica Lewinski autobiography.  Who could do the artwork for this book.   Hmmm...

Actually, Monica is the last person I would have thought of. If I can't stand the looks of a girl, it's highly unlikely that I'm going to be licking anywhere.

Being the biggest slut here ( presumably ), it's kind of ironic that the 1st thing I thought of was this sign

which always seems to circulate from my friends' email atleast once a year.
« Last Edit: Sat, April 9, 2005, 03:38:39 by Delvie » Logged

COGITO ERGO BOOM ~ I  think therefore my head explodes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: