Thu, September 20, 2018, 14:23:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Crusade Fine Arts Forum

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Not Mike Solof  (Read 6511 times)
Uncle_SIKO
« on: Mon, January 13, 2003, 11:38:01 »

But I've got a beef.

For Christmas JCV got me the New X Men collected hardcover Vol. 1. There are several things in this book that I had real problems with. Unless you ask I won't bother you with all of them I just want to bring up one. At the end of the book is the "Morrison Manifesto". In it he discusses his reasons for doing what he wants to do. In paragraph #2 he states, "The only people reading are fanboys who don't count. The X-MEN, for all it was still Marvel's bestseller, had become a watchword for undilluted geekery before the movie gave us another electroshock jolt. And in the last decade sales fell from millions to hundreds of thousands." Excuse me Morrison but who the f%#$ do you think you are? If the book sucked, Marvel owes the readers an apology not contempt. In past years Marvel, under the leadership of it's ex-owner Mr Perlman(sp), has lead the charge in trying to destroy the comics industry. If a title worked, they put out 50 variations of that title. Anyone remember the "collector" cover  craze. Who cares if the art work is good. Slap a hologram on the damn thing, the fanboys will buy it. If X_MEN was Marvel's bestseller, you should be on your knees kissing the ass of all those that kept that company a going concern by buying and reading the title. This sort of contempt for a customer base has no place in any industry, much less the comics industry.

Hey Billy, do you have sales of a few hundred thousand to "fanboys who don't count"?

Just my $.02 worth.

Uncle SIKO >:(
Nightwing
Crusade Warrior

Always on the prowl for hot female comic groupies.

« Reply #1 on: Tue, January 14, 2003, 14:38:00 »

OPPS...wait a sec.... yes I am and Uncle sisko....you have my complete support for not being me.

Mike solof
Weldon
« Reply #2 on: Wed, January 15, 2003, 13:06:31 »

Many of you who know me know that I am not usually given to strong opinions or standing up in crowds to make pointed speeches to industry representatives...

O.K., so maybe I am, but still, I'm on your side in this Siko.
It takes a lot of gall to produce crap for years and tell people that it's good.  And then once the public has developed a taste for crap, to berate them for it and blame the consumer for the crappy product!
Not only is MARVEL responsible for the proliferation of all the X-crement books for so many years, but let's not forget Marvel UK....The 'Big Guns' project....The 'Back to Basics' program that introduced about 8 new crappy spinoff titles (Force Works?...No, it doesn't....).

I have to say, I AM reading the New X-Men.  And liking it for the most part.  But you will notice that it has not stopped Marvel from producing other crappy X-titles also!  
(X-treme X-crement, X-cetera...)

I have always urged the public to vote with their Dollars.
If you don't like the taste of crap....STOP EATING IT!
There are plenty of other QUALITY books on the market to soak up any excess cash you have laying about.
I would mention SHI as an example here, but if you are on this board reading this post, then you already know about that one.
In addition to SHI, I would recommend trying HUNTER from DC.  Tim Hunter is a character that has had his share of ups and downs in the quality department.
The BOOKS OF MAGIC mini-series is one of the finest comics ever.  The Books of Magic continuing series just slowly went down and down...
The AGE OF MAGIC mini-series was a return to better quality.
And the current HUNTER series has been excellent and worth your attention and dollars.
I'll get of my soapbox now....   Really.
---Wel
BillyTucci
Administrator
Crusade Warrior

The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.

« Reply #3 on: Thu, January 16, 2003, 13:09:01 »

Thanks Wel,
I've got to check out "Hunter."

THANK YOU FOR 13 WONDERFUL YEARS OF SHI and Crusade.  YOU HAVE ALL CHANGED MY LIFE AND I AM HONORED.
JCVaughn
Crusade Warrior

Vi Et Armis.

« Reply #4 on: Sun, January 19, 2003, 04:01:32 »

I'm not Mike Solof either.  ::)

If you're on Facebook, let me know!
Delvie
Crusader
Crusade Warrior

« Reply #5 on: Sun, January 19, 2003, 13:50:21 »

I thought I might be Mikey when I woke up, but my girlfriend assured me that I was delusional.
;D

COGITO ERGO BOOM ~ I  think therefore my head explodes
Weldon
« Reply #6 on: Tue, January 21, 2003, 06:32:50 »

I thought I might be Mikey when I woke up, but my girlfriend assured me that I was delusional.
;D

You thought you were Mikey Dolenz?
....talk about self-esteem issues...
You should have gone with Davy.  He was the chick-magnet.
---Wel
(secretly thinks he's Mike Nesmith)
JCVaughn
Crusade Warrior

Vi Et Armis.

« Reply #7 on: Tue, February 18, 2003, 11:58:00 »

Anyone else here not Mike Solof?

If you're on Facebook, let me know!
Nightwing
Crusade Warrior

Always on the prowl for hot female comic groupies.

« Reply #8 on: Tue, February 18, 2003, 14:25:08 »

Sometimes I wish I wasn't!
Uncle_SIKO
« Reply #9 on: Tue, February 18, 2003, 18:52:16 »

I just went and checked. It turns out I'm still not Mike Solof.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: